Surgery PAT Testing
PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) is an important Health & Safety responsibility for any organisation or individual. It is done using a series of safety and function tests carried out on your portable electrical appliances to ensure they are safe for use.
The CQC & HSE expect your practice, as a place of work, to ensure that all
portable electrical appliances are safe to be used by staff, patients/visitors
You, as a practice are responsible for all electrical equipment you employees use at work, whether it is something they have bought in from home, or supplied by the practice. You are also responsible for any equipment that is leased (such as photocopier) or something that is provided for the practice by the CSU or CCG, such as servers, computers, monitors and printers.
The Test itself will ensure that each portable appliance is given a nine-point test:
- Plugs - will be checked for compliance, damage and correct secure fitting
- Fuses - we will ensure correct rating fitted and swapped if necessary
- Cables - will be checked for wear and tear; heat damage; cuts and abrasions
- Appliance Housing - will be checked for compliance and damage: cracks, dents and corrosion
- Earth Bond - we will check earthing of appliance meets acceptable standards
- Insulation - We will run insulation checks to ensure the insulation protecting the conductors is not broken
- Load Test - This ensures the equipment and fuses operate correctly
- Earth Leakage - This measures the leakage current to the earth while the appliance is operating
- Function - This is to ensure the appliance is fully operational
Once we have PAT (Portable Appliance Test) tested your appliances, we will label them with an ID number, the date the next PAT test is due and our engineers initials. Its normal for items to fail a PAT test from time to time. If any of your portable appliances fail their PAT test, we will provide a full explanation. All customers are provided with a detailed PAT testing report, which would be sent via email, or we can provide paper copies if required.